As the government have introduced the Electrical Safety Standards in Private Rented Sector became the law in June 2020 and then will apply to new tenants from July 1st 2020. Therefore, Landlords should ensure that their property is electrically safe to house tenants in. Landlords will also have to show their tenants a copy of the electrical safety certificate when they move into the property and well as the local authorities if they request.
This won’t be a huge change to many landlords because this is already in operation for many. However, this law has been put into place for landlords that don’t have their electrical appliances tested regularly.
What’s Included in The Landlord Electrical Testing Regulations?
- Landlords must have every electrical appliance checked no more than 5 years intervals by a qualified and registered electrician.
- The regulations state that in England all new tenants should have a periodic electrical testing service from the 1srt July 2020 and existing tenants from 1st April 2021.
- The landlord must obtain a report from the qualified electrician, which reveals the results of the electrical test and whether the electrical installations need changing.
- You must give each tenant a full report of the electrical test within 28 days of the tenants moving into the property.
- If the landlord doesn’t comply with the regulations in place there could be up to a £30,000 fine.
The Importance of Landlord Electrical Testing
Ensuring that your tenants are electrically safe should be your main priority, if your electrical appliances are faulty, you’re putting your tenants under serious risk of injury. Our experienced team of electricians will get your electrical examination service completed in no time at all and will comply with the latest set of requirements and ensuring that the work is done to the highest standard.
Contact Our Electrical Contractors
If you’re looking for landlord electrical testing services and you’re located in Birmingham, Solihull or an area in the West Midlands, then please get in touch with us. We have years of experience in providing electrical testing and we can help you fulfil all of your electrical needs.